|Historical Sites in North Wales|
9 sites in this category
Llangelynin Church and Holy Well.
The site of the old church is high above the Conwy valley, in the shelter of Tal y Fan. Several footpaths converge here. For many years these would have been the main routes between the Conwy valley and the settlements over the hills in Penmaenmawr and west toward Caernarfon and Anglesey. Today you will find walkers enjoying the easy terrain provided by the rolling hills en route to sites such as Aber Falls.
Maen y Bardd (Stone of the Bard)
Maen y Bardd is a Neolithic Burial Chamber in a beautiful location high above the Conwy Valley.
The Ancient Church of Llandrillo yn Rhos
The Ancient Church of Llandrillo yn Rhos, Conwy, North Wales. A short history with pictures.
Cadw is a Welsh word which means \'to keep\'. Cadw\'s mission is to protect, conserve, and to promote an appreciation of the built heritage of Wales. The full title of the organization is Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments Executive Agency, and it is a part of the National Assembly for Wales. Created in 1984, Cadw carries out the complete range of responsibilities for the conservation, presentation, and promotion of the built heritage of Wales on behalf of the National Assembly for Wales.
The Church of Llanaber and St. Bodfan
St Bodfan\'s Church is the finest 13th-century church in Gwynedd. It was built by Hywel ap Gruffudd ap Cynan, a great grandson of Owain Gwynedd who became overlord of this part of Meirionnydd in 1202 but was dead by 1216. The church houses the Llanaber stones dating from the late 5th-early 6th century AD.
Bwlch y Ddeufaen
The pass, Bwlch y Ddeufaen, is marked by two very fine standing stones. There are two smaller uprights close to the northern stone, and a series of small stones emerging from the peat a short distance east of the southern stone.
Hendre Waelod is the only one of the Conwy valley portal dolmens with the traditional high portal stones-in this case, originally 3m high and probably covered by a separate lintel, now lost. The chamber behind is large but rather low, covered by an enormous capstone which has slipped to the north. Access from the portal is blocked but it is possible to squeeze inside from the other elevation.
This site excavated in 1960 was one of the first sites where multi period building was recognised, and has become central to the understanding of the portal dolmen group in this country and in Ireland. Portal dolmens form the most common type of tomb in this region. They stood at the centre of the farmed land,a focus for the community like a parish church, and many of them are striking and daring examples of architecture and engineering.
More Results: 1 2 Next
Private small ads are free to place and free to reply to.More Details
Database error - this has been logged. Apologies...